Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Change of plans

I tried to evacuate. It took me until 8:30 to get the house secured, clothes packed, and Buck ready to travel. Slight problem, I had no gas in the car. I had almost 3/4 tank this afternoon, so I didn't fill up at lunch. Of course, with my 2.5-hour ultra-long commute home, I burned almost all of that. I thought I'd sneak up 249 to 2920 and across to 290 to head to Austin. Unfortunately, there was no gasoline to be found. There was still gas at the fourth station I went to, but four guys with SUVs had blocked off the pumps and were filling up their trucks as well as several 30-gallon cannisters. By the time I got to the pumps, they were dry.

I tried to take 249 up into Tomball thinking maybe I'd find gas there. No luck. 249 was a parking lot. I just sat watching my temp gauge climb higher while my gas gauge crept lower. I just spent another 3.5 hours in the car. I've got NO gas. I'm hoping I can score some in the morning, but if the traffic is the same tomorrow as it is tonight, there's no way I'm going to make it to Austin.

Looks like I'm going to be riding out the storm from here.
Post a Comment