Sunday, September 25, 2005

Die-hard Acadians

The weather got really nice last night, so after being cooped up for two days I took a motorcycle ride around the neighborhood to see if there was any real damage. Apparently the roof of the Big Lots at Jones and 1960 fell in, but I think that was more because the shopping center was an old piece of crap that needed to be leveled anyway.

I found a couple gas stations that were open, but they had no gas. Then along 1960 I found a couple of stations getting refilled by tankers, but they weren't open. (What can you do?) Although the power was back on most everywhere, not much was open yet. However, I cruised past Acadia Bar, and the door was open, so I stopped in. There was no power there, but they were serving, so all the die-hards were sitting in there drinking in the dark. I sat for a while and listened to everyone's hurricane stories. Nobody there had lost anything, so that was good. It was just good to talk to people because I'd gone stir crazy sitting in the house for so long. I mean, there's only so many hours of bowflex and guitar playing you can do in a day before you're too sore to move and your fingers are bleeding.

Anyway, I'm going to shower and see if I can find some gas to get to church this morning.
Post a Comment