Saturday, October 08, 2005

Chasing the night

Friday was a long day at work. I got there an hour early to finish up some research I was working on, and then ended up staying about an hour late to finish proofreading a project that needed to release. We did manage to fit lunch at Hooters in there. Those graphic artists loved their Hooters.

Anyway, my buddy Arick and I decided to grab a drink after work, so we went over to Benjy's in the Village. The crowd was very old in there. So we drank, talked about life, love, work, goals, etc. Then that got boring, so Arick was like, hey, let's invite those girls over to our table. Well, that was a great idea and all, but Arick's too shy to actually go talk to anyone. That puts ALL the weight on me, and I've been out of the game for like 3 years.

Anyway, I gear up, and go chat with a couple girls at the bar. Then I talk to a couple out on the patio. Arick had a tab open, so I was of course offering to buy them drinks -- on his bill. I couldn't GIVE a damn drink away in the place.

So Arick's just sitting at our table laughing at me getting shot down. Keep in mind, I'm NOT trying to meet anyone. I'm simply trying to engage a woman in conversation and talk her into coming back to the table to talk to him.

Two hours and three beers later, still no success.

We ended up stopping at Mi Luna and Urban Outfitters since we were already in the Village, but then we headed over to The Front Porch. This place was PACKED with women, and they were all dressed to impress and scoping the guys. It was a target-rich environment. What does Arick do? He sits down at a table, and won't get up. However, he decides he likes these two girls at the bar playing video crack, so I'm like, OK, I'll go start the conversation. Give me 30 seconds, and then come over and join me.

Well, I go over and meet Brandy the dental hygienist and Wendy the flight attendant. I'm waiting for Arick. We chat some more about the weather and their jobs and my job and hobbies, and I'm still waiting for Arick. I finally ask them if they'd like to come meet him, but they're like, "if he can't make the effort to come over here and introduce himself, he's not our type of guy." So I go get him. I have to force him to get up and talk to them.

He's got nothing to say. The conversation dies. He goes and sits back down. It was so pathetic. THEN, in the car on the way home, he complains that he NEVER meets any women! (BTW, Wendy the flight attendent climbed into the lap of the next guy that bought her a drink and was making out with him when we left.)

It was like only 10:30 at this point, and my buddy Leo called because they were having a big party up here at Acadia for a bunch of people's birthdays, and they were showing the new trailer for his movie Necrophobia and the new Revolution music video. The place was packed, and the trailer and the video both looked great. You can check them out at www.necrophobiamovie.com.

I finally called it a night around 1:30 and came home and slept in my sandy bed for the third night in a row. Don't worry, I'm totally washing my sheets right now.
Post a Comment