Thursday, January 19, 2006

Not bad for the first time out

I played open mic at Acadia last night. I'd never played there before, and it's a pretty popular spot, so I was fairly nervous as to how my songs were going to be received. I played three originals, "Singing Aculpoco," "Silverscreen Dreams," and "She's Infectious." It's hard to gauge crowd reaction when you're onstage because you can't really see anything but shadows because of the lights in your eyes, and you can't hear anything but yourself. However, I was pleased to hear some applause after the first song. My friend LeAnn was in the audience spying for me. She said that when I started playing, everyone got quiet. That can be a good or a bad thing. It either means everyone is intrigued enough to stop talking and listen OR it means that you're so bad everyone is just amazed that you'd even get up and perform in the first place. She assured me it was because I was good. However, I know the set didn't come off without some screw-ups. I missed a chord change and flubbed one line of lyrics, and the bass player accompanying me missed several changes. Overall though, it wasn't a bad way to get back on the horse. I'm playing again tonight at Fountainhead. We'll see if I can take it up a notch and whether or not the crowd is still interested two nights in a row.
Post a Comment