Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Val Kilmer sighting?

So I played at Big Daddy's Monday night. Except the people in that place really love country, so everytime I get up, they start yelling for country, so they can dance. Which it's cool to have people dancing while you play, but I'd rather play my own songs than country. Plus, I don't know that much country, so I was scraping the bottom of the barrel to keep them happy. Anyway, the weird part was that after I played this girl came running up yelling "Val Kilmer, Val Kilmer!" I said, what? And she told me that she and her friends decided I looked like Val Kilmer. I didn't even play any Doors tunes. Go figure. So, that was flattering I guess. I like Val Kilmer. I don't think I actually look much like him at all, but hey, I'll take it.

I had a meeting downtown yesterday. I'm no good with downtown. I don't know my way around at all. Plus everyone meanders back and forth on those one-way streets. I hate driving downtown. Anyway, my meeting was at 1:00 at this building on Clay. So I follow the directions and park where I thought I was supposed to be. However, I'm finding no building. There are only parking garages. I call the guy ... tell him I'm lost. He's like, oh, just walk down a little, it's right by the Hyatt. I start walking. About the time I hit Minute Maid park I realized I'd gone the wrong direction. So I hike the 15 blocks back the other way. Then I get into this guy's building. He's on the 38th floor. I finally find the elevator bank. They only have buttons for 1 - 5. I have to call this guy again to find out how to get to the right elevators. I ended up 30 minutes late. It sucked. Plus I was all sweaty from hiking around downtown in a business suit. I probably smelled like a classroom full of first-graders after recess.

Of course, that wasn't the biggest folly to occur. I got a call from Jace last night. He lost his car keys. At his bar. At 3 a.m. I dutifully climbed out of bed and picked him up. We had a nice moonlight drive home. Looks like I may be doing the same tonight. If the key doesn't turn up then he's going to have to have the car towed to the dealership, re-keyed and re-programmed. Big fun.

I'm headed to open mic at Acadia tonight. I'm going to see if I can make it through the evening without smoking. Last night I ran out of cigarettes while I was out, and this guy game me a pack of Reds. I smoked two, and my lungs hurt so bad I thought I had already contracted emphysema. I've been running twice today trying to flush the evil out of my chest.

Perhaps something really exciting will happen, so I'll have something better to blog about tomorrow.
Post a Comment