Monday, April 17, 2006

Robbed at the GAP

Today did not go so smoothly. I woke up late, didn't feel like working, the power went off at work, the car overheated on my drive home, etc. My cosmic clock was just way out of alignment. So I need dressier clothes for this new job because at the ad agency we just wore jeans and t-shirts all the time. Lame as it is, at this point in my life I pretty much just let the girls at the GAP dress me. I went in this evening and loaded up on slacks and polo shirts. Then I got to check out. No wallet. I go check the dressing room. It's not there. I check all the aisles. Not there. I went out and checked my car. Not there. I start kind of freaking out because I NEVER forget my wallet. Jace and Ben are the type of guys that leave it laying around the house all the time and always forget their IDs, so halfway to the bar we'll have to turn around and come home to get it. I HATE that. I ALWAYS have my wallet, my keys, and my phone. Tonight, I had the keys and phone -- no wallet. I was sure somebody had burglarized my changing room at The GAP, but I was holding out that one desperate hope that it was at home. I had to leave my bag of clothes there. I didn't know what I was going to do if it wasn't at home because I would have had no bank or credit cards, so I couldn't have even gotten cash to buy gas to get to work tomorrow.

Thank the good Lord Jesus, it was in the back pocket of the pants I wore to work today. Somehow I just didn't grab it. However, it was too late to go back to the GAP and get my clothes.

I checked the mail on my way home. I keep getting letters from people that don't know I'm divorced. Recently there's been invites to charity balls and events we used to be involved with. Those I can usually handle with just a tinge of sadness. But tonight there was one from the church where we'd been married. The deacon that taught my marriage prep class sent a letter asking how we were doing and asking if we'd come help with a spaghetti dinner for a bunch of engaged couples. That letter just hit me like a ton of bricks. You think you're over something and it's all under control, and then one little thing can set it off. Maybe I was just more susceptible tonight because the weekend had been so lonely with no family around. I don't know. It just sucked.

I'm going to go lift some weights.
Post a Comment