Monday, May 29, 2006

The Lebowski Fest Wrap-up

I know, it's taking me forever to get this posted, but I'm finally doing it. Here's the details on Lebowski Fest.

Friday night we went to the kick-off party and watched the bands. As I mentioned earlier I was clever enough to leave my camera at the hotel for this event. We finally went back to the Omni and picked it up before we hit the Dizzy Rooster.


This is Ben, Jace, me, David, and Shawn about to down our first shot of the evening. We had already been drinking, but were still functional at this point. We laughed, we drank, we did more shots.


This is us towards the end of the night. Too many White Russiand and Jager Bombs had passed through my lips, and I wasn't doing too well at this point. David almost got in a fight on the two block walk back to the hotel, and I think we did some other stuff, but I pretty much have no memory after walking back through the entrance to the hotel.


Unfortunately, the camera does have a memory. There are a couple much more detailed pictures of me unloading the PF Changs we had for dinner, but I thought I'd spare you that. I don't know what all went on once we got back to the hotel, but everyone was just stupid drunk.


I think Ben and Jace were rather proud of themselves for not yakking and passing out, but they were still just as hungover the next day.


I was the first one to pass out, but David wasn't far behind me.


He got clowned too after he threw up on himself and passed out. It makes me feel so much better that I wasn't the only one.


So Saturday we headed to Highland Lanes for the festival. It was sold out.


Big Lew Abernathy, who was the inspiration for John Goodman's character "Walter," calls somebody out for being "over the line!"


It took a while, but we finally got a lane.


Ben outrolled me the first game, but I managed to get him the second one.


I spent some time chatting with Big Lew. He said he was actually a private detective back when the film was written and that it was kind of based on the adventures he'd had with a studio exec. He said he'd never even met the guy who supposedly inspired "The Dude." Apparently the Cohen brothers pulled the characters from various places. I asked him if he was really as intense as John Goodman made his character out to be. He said, at the time, yes he was, but that he's mellowed a lot since then. I also asked him if he really pulled his gun out in the bowling alley, and he said no, that was a bit of a fabrication ... it actually happened in the parking lot. He was a real nice guy and more than happy to chat with everyone. I think he was really enjoying signing autographs and taking pictures.


The costume contest was by far the biggest event of the weekend. Some people went all out. It was hard to even get a view of the stage.


These were the contest winners. I think the nihlist was the best by far. He even had real giant scissors. (But I have to note that the winning Maude was a TOTAL hottie.)


I stopped to pose with one girl who had dressed up like The Dude's landlord when he was performing his quintet.


This girl also had a one-of-a-kind costume as she was the only one who decided to dress up like the nihlist's girlfriend that gave up her toe.


These two guys had a major advantage in the costume contest seeing as how you can't really look much more like Walter and The Dude unless you're John Goodman and Jeff Bridges.

All in all, it was a fun weekend. I need to get my poster framed, so I can hang it in my office. Maybe we'll go to the next one, but drink less and bowl more.
Post a Comment