Friday, November 24, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

Well, we made it through Thanksgiving.

Ben and I flew into El Paso Wednesday morning, and arrived just in time for lunch with the parents and grandparents. Then it was off to the golf course. I’m not a golfer. I play maybe once a year – if that. However, Ben loves the game, and it’s turned into my parents’ only hobby, so I stumbled my way through 9 holes with them while my grandparents followed us around on a cart. I actually didn’t do too bad. I think my mom hit a 50, and I hit a 57 – that’s less than one extra stroke per hole.

We grabbed some tamales for dinner. Being in El Paso is a perk when it comes to Mexican food. Then we watched The World’s Fastest Indian. I have a feeling it’s going to be a PG film festival around here all weekend as my grandparents and parents don’t watch R-rated movies. That’s kind of a shame considering my parents just bought this incredible 46” LCD HDTV. Of course, classy as they are, it’s sitting on top of the old 32” CRT TV – you know, one of those big ones with the wooden cabinet? Tonight’s movie was The Producers. Can’t say it was horrible, but I’ve never been much for musicals and this one was REALLY slow paced.

Today started with cinnamon rolls as every holiday did at our house growing up. My mom always makes them from scratch the night before. They were delicious. I’ve been snacking on them all day. My dad spent the morning doing house repair projects, and we helped out between games of ping pong. The shocker was that my mom served whine with Thanksgiving lunch. My parents never drank when we were growing up. In fact, alcohol was demonized in our household – probably why I like it as much as I love the “devil music” of Led Zeppelin. Anyway, we passed around a big bottle of white zinfandel to go with the turkey. (Yes, I know white zinfandel is redneck, but did you not see the earlier mention that the new flat-screen TV is sitting on top of the old TV?)

However, the highlight of the day was Scrabble. I know, sounds lame, but get this. Ben and I are playing on a team (poor Ben can’t spell, that’s why we’re a team), and we’re leading the entire game. However, it gets down to the last round, and we’re at 115 and my dad’s at 105. Everyone else is down in the 60s and 70s. The last play of the game, my dad uses all 7 of his letters to spell METERING and also completes two other words. He scores 37 points for his words, 50 points for using all 7 letters, and then collects the points from everyone else’s hands because we had leftover letters. His final score was 265. It was the most brilliant Scrabble move I’ve ever seen.

So that’s my blisteringly exciting Thanksgiving report. I hope all of you are having wonderful holidays. I’m off to kill the rest of that white zinfandel.
Post a Comment