Friday, January 26, 2007

The Vista Anticipation

Windows Vista finally launches on Tuesday, and I hate to say it, but I’m actually excited. I’ve already decided I want a new duo-core machine with Vista Premium, which I think will be new equivalent to XP Media Center Edition. With all the traveling I’ve been doing the need to have a machine available with Photoshop, InDesign, Powerpoint and Mobile Broadband has become very apparent. Plus, it currently takes 10 minutes to import a 3-minute video clip, and then 30 minutes to compress and save the clip to a new file on my home machine – talk about a time-consuming process. My 3GHz work machine is able to import the clips in about 30 seconds and compress and save the files in about 2 minutes.

However, the question remains, do I upgrade now with a standard DVD burner or do I wait a few more months for Blu-Ray or HD DVD drives to come down in price? We’re already shooting all our films in HD, but have to drop the resolution to standard DVD to play them. It would be nice to be able to just burn them in their High-Def format. Then again, who knows which company is going to win this format war. If BetaMax and MiniDiscs are any indication, Blue-Ray may not be around long. Then again, maybe it’s possible that Sony has finally learned something from their mistakes.

There’s actually a Vista Release Party at 10 p.m., January 29 at the CompUSA on Westheimer, but I don’t think I’m actually nerdy and excited enough to attend.
Post a Comment