Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Very few things actually excite me

But, the discovery of Gliese 581 has my imagination running wild. A planet with 5 times the mass of Earth orbiting a red sun with conditions that might even be more hospitable to life than Earth itself -- that's the kind of stuff you only hear in the movies. And speaking of movies, there's a little superhero you all might know who came from a planet with a red sun.

Obviously, I don't think this planet is full of supermen, but I do wish there was a way to travel the 20 light years to the constellation Libra to see just what is on this planet. New creatures, new foods, new diseases, new cures -- who knows?

So 20 light years is roughly equivalent to 1.17 x 10^14 miles. As much as I want to go, I'm thinking that's farther than I'll ever make it in my lifetime.
Post a Comment