Monday, July 19, 2010

A succesful weekend

It was a late start getting to the boat Saturday, but we finally got down there around 7 p.m. The marina social club was hanging out the pool and despite the temptation to stop and have a beer, we got right to installing the new bulkhead.

It fit, but just barely. We probably spent over half an hour tapping it in with a mallet and a wooden block to get it seated. However, it's definitely not going anywhere now that it is.

From Starwind 27

With both the new bulkheads installed and matching, the cabin looks so much nicer. Unfortunately, we did not get the table reinstalled. Upon inspection I found the plywood panels to be completely rotten. We could have just epoxied up the broken end and ignored it, but rotten moldy stuff makes your boat smell like rotten moldy stuff, and we've been fighting that odor for a year now. Plus, I'm not entirely thrilled with the table design since it flips down and blocks the door to the head. Seems to me if you have people over eating and drinking around the table, the one thing you are guaranteed to need access to is the head. Unfortunately I haven't come up with any better ideas yet -- unless maybe we suspend the table from the ceiling and move it up and down with a pulley system. (Yeah, right!)

The old folks apparently partied all night Friday, so by 10:30 everyone had disappeared. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to show off my new boat guitar, but oh well. We finished the night with a little fishing -- and I say a "little" fishing because we only caught little fish. All I ever catch in the marina is catfish. There are five different kinds of fish I can't identify jumping out of the water, but I'll be damned if I can get anything except the catfish to take my bait or my lures.

From Starwind 27

I didn't sleep Saturday night. I had a run-in with some fire ants at the salvage yard on Friday. I'm not sure why the bites suddenly got so bad, but they all blistered and swelled up Saturday afternoon.

From BlogPhotos

The bites all over both feet tortured me all night. I was up by 5 a.m.

From Starwind 27

I watched the sun come up over the Kemah bridge and did some more fishing with the Ba-Donk-A-Donk saltwater lure the old guy at Wal-Mart sold me. I think a smaller fish tried to mate with it, but not a one actually bit it.

I woke Ben up at 7 a.m. to climb the mast as it is already brutally hot by about 8:30 in the morning. It was his turn to climb. The trip up was a success. We now have a working anchor light. However, there will be one more trip at some point. We still haven't bought another wind indicator. When we finally do that we'll have to climb it again.

From Starwind 27

Despite getting smacked in the head with the boom a few weeks ago the first time I tried to take her out, Nikki joined us again for our morning sail. This time, she kept low.

From Starwind 27

Unfortunately, this wasn't a smooth trip for her either. The motion of the ocean got to her, and she ended up seasick for half the trip.

From Starwind 27

There was a huge storm system that moved in behind us, so we were stuck in the bay waiting it out before we could go back in. Thankfully I found a couple dramamine in the first aid kit for her. That helped.

From Starwind 27

The boat performed beautifully. We saw a few dolphins. Nobody threw up. I think that makes it a succesful weekend.
Post a Comment