The upside is that apparently my new marina friends actually like me because they called twice wondering where I was and if I was coming. It wasn't until we got there that I found out they had actually invited about a dozen 20-somethings that they had met at a local head shop to come hang out on the boat and enjoy the weekly guitar jam. It was standing room only, and these hippies were into it. I'm not sure I ever had that many people turn out to one of my real shows.
I played guitar and drank rum until about 2:30 a.m. then promptly passed out. I should have not have stayed up so late because I didn't wake up until 10:30 Sunday morning, which is already the full heat of the day. However, despite the heat I still climbed the mast and fixed the steaming light. Unfortunately, I was so hot and sweaty that I didn't bother going all the way up to fix the anchor light. I figured I'd have to climb it again to fix the Windex when we get the parts for that, so why climb it twice?
By this time I'd already made a West Marine run and a lunch run, so it was approaching 2 p.m., and Ben still hadn't shown up in the truck with the plywood to replace the starboard bulkhead. My plan had been to unbolt the old one, go trace it onto plywood, then bolt it back in and go sailing. I could do the carpentry at home and enjoy an afternoon on the bay.
Yeah, that didn't happen. It took the better part of two hours to get the old wall out. We had to cut several bolts off because the nuts wouldn't budge. Then the wall came out in pieces -- that ended any chance of putting it back in for a sail.
|From Starwind 27|
It was heartwrenching to go from having a functional, moving sailboat back to a floating work in progress. Obviously the wall had to be replaced sooner or later, but I think Ben had it right when he said, "If we ever buy another boat, we're just gutting it completely the first day." This process would have definitely been shorter and probably cheaper if we had just yanked the motor and done all this woodwork at the beginning instead of spending months trying to fix the old diesel and doing the carpentry piece meal whenever we finally HAD to replace something.
Just to feel better about actually accomplishing something I did rewire the battery selector switch. Eh, it's something ...