Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Varnish in the dark

I had to make a stop at Home Depot on my way home from work to pick up more urethane for the shelves and bulkheads. I actually ran into someone I know, which never happens in Houston, so we caught up while walking the aisles of the home superstore. Of course, that lengthened my stop. Then when I got home Ben had started watching The Royal Tennenbaums. I don't know if it was boat burnout or my attraction to Gwyneth Paltrow as Margot Tennenbaum, but I got caught in the TV trap for an hour.

It took all my willpower to rally the motivation to get to the garage and saw out the small port bulkhead. However, I got it done and then stained both the big and the small bulkheads -- but not without tripping and splashing stain on the sidepipes of the Cobra. I feel kind of bad about that, but I'm not the only one with clutter all over the floor of the garage that contributed to the trip.

Once the bulkheads were stained, I walked around back and started slathering the shelves with more urethane. Unfortunately, it was already dark. I put two coats on those things in the dark. It should be very interesting to see how they turn out tomorrow. On the upside, they don't have to be dry until Friday, so I have two more nights I can sand and varnish them ... unless it rains. There's just not room for them in the garage.

If I stay on task the bulkheads will get sealant tomorrow and then white epoxy paint for the sides that face into the head on Thursday.

I did manage to crank out 20 minutes on the elliptical after all the panel painting. I think this is week six, and I'm really feeling my motivation dwindle. I'm not looking chubby anymore, so the drive to lose the weight is gone, and now I just really want some nasty fried food. I must stay strong and think of it as my lifestyle, not a diet.

To avoid online shopping for the rest of the day, I did then next best thing. I emailed my mom. I basically ordered up all the old snorkeling gear, binoculars, and other camping stuff that was sitting around my parents' house. She was actually thrilled that I wanted it since they're about to move to New Mexico. Hopefully I can pick it up from them when we all meet in Lubbock for my cousin's wedding next weekend.

I'm just ready for the weekend to get here, the bulkheads to be in the boat, and to be back on the water.
Post a Comment