Sunday, August 01, 2010

The Leica has landed

The surprise of the weekend was that when I arrived home from the boat Saturday evening, the Leica X1 was waiting for me on the porch. I couldn't resist unboxing it, but being so late I didn't have time to really play with it.

From BlogPhotos

Few companies really put much thought into their packaging. Jawbone and Powermat are the only two other brands where I've opened a box and found the packaging almost as intriguing as the product inside. However, Leica really outdid themselves with the X1 packaging. You pull one tab, and the silver outer box falls away from the black interior box.

From BlogPhotos

The interior box has the camera in the top tier. Then one pull out drawer holds user manuals in several different languages while the other drawer holds the battery, charger, cables, country plug adapters, etc.

From BlogPhotos

The package I won on eBay included not only the X1 but also a leather case and an extra battery. However, after playing with it all day, battery life doesn't seem to be a problem. Then again, since there's no optical viewfinder, I'm guessing that the LCD probably drains it faster than a regular DSLR, which can operate with the LCD completely off.

The camera has f-stop and shutter speed dials right on top, and ISO is quickly accesible with a button on the back. Unlike other upscale point-and-shoots I've used, you don't have to switch into manual mode and hunt through menus to choose your settings. There's no clunky manual mode. Flippng the dials off A gets you right to the setting. It's very nice.

I've been on a mission to clean house all morning, but I took a few shots while Nikki and I were washing cars. Of course, Picasa compressed these shots when I uploaded them, so the full detail isn't there, but they look pretty nice.

From BlogPhotos
From BlogPhotos
From BlogPhotos

More to come later. I have to clean my bedroom, do some grocery shopping and spend some time with the user manual this afternoon.
Post a Comment