Friday, December 10, 2010

Conquering the Mega Mel Burger

It's been one of those weeks where nothing I actually PLANNED to get done, actually got done. By Tuesday morning everything had snowballed into a hectic cluster of overwhelming deadlines. I found myself still at the office 9 p.m. Wednesday. Then, I did remember it was my brother's birthday Thursday morning and sent him a message on Facebook, but by the time I arrived home that evening I was completely confused as to why his friends were at the house wanting to go out to eat.

It was a foot-in-mouth moment when he suggested Mel's Country Cafe, and I said, I'll pass. All I was thinking was that I was tired and about to miss another workout. Then he said, "Should I open my birthday cards here at the house then?" I felt dumb.

I had no idea what Mel's Country Cafe was or where it was located. I just knew he'd been there a couple weekends ago with the Cobra Club. When we got there, I found out why he requested that particular eatery -- he wanted to conquer the Mega Mel.

L1012166a

Here are the contents of a Mega Mel:
1.5 pounds of fresh ground beef
1 pound of bacon
.25 pound of America cheese
LOTS and LOTS of lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and pickles

Here are the rules if you want your name on the wall of fame:
1. If you leave anything in your plate, you will be disqualified.
2. If anyone takes anything off your plate, you will be disqualified.
3. You must be able to walk and talk after eating the Mega Mel Burger.
4. If you get sick at any time, you will be disqualified.
5. You have two hours to eat the Mega Mel Burger.
6. You will be stopped from eating if at anytime the staff feels you are going to get sick.
7. The most important thing is to remember that the Mega Mel Burger is a fun event at Mel's Country Cafe, so please have fun with it.

Needless to say, he didn't finish.

L1012198_1

But he did have fun, and he has enough leftovers to eat the rest of the weekend.

As for me, I finished putting out all the fires and fulfilling everyone's requests late this afternoon. I wish I could have paginated the December newsletter somewhere in between town hall meeting slides, answering help calls, and digging up proposal photos, but it's not like I don't get to come to work next week.
Post a Comment