Saturday, December 18, 2010

The power of Gawker

I've been doing a little testing to see just how much influence Gizmodo and the other Gawker Media sites really have. The answer is A LOT! At this point if a Gawker site links you in an article it's like a DDOS attack from the traffic generated.

Just linking a photo in the comments of an article on Gizmodo.com, I was able to jump my flickr click-throughs from 325 the previous day to more than 3,500 in less than 24 hours.

Some days are better than others

I've repeated this experiment several times to verify, and I also linked a YouTube video. That video jumped from 20 views to 450 by the end of the day.



I tried this same experiment with fark.com. It generated a measly 20 click-throughs. In comparison, Facebook and the Leica Forum generate somewhere between 5 and 10 clicks per day.

Interesting stuff. Now to figure out how to generate 10,000 per day.
Post a Comment