Monday, January 03, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

2010 was far from a bad year. I ended up in France three times. I wrote Boosting Business Communications on a Budget, which is still available on Amazon.com for only $2.99. I got back into photography as a creative outlet -- a hobby that meshes so much better with working long hours in an office than does playing guitar all night in bars. The sailboat was brought back to life. I put a new roof on my house. There was much learning. It was a productive year, but I've got a few goals for 2011.

Spinnaker sailing: Since our maiden voyage in May, we've been learning how to handle the boat. Now that we're pretty comfortable with the way things work, it's time to pull that spinnaker out of the closet and see how fast she can go!

Finish my book on boat repairs: Part of the deal I made with myself when buying the boat in 2009 was to document the progress, pitfalls, successes and comedy of errors that would accompany the restoration of the boat. I had five chapters finished in July, but I got busy with so many other things that I haven't written any since then. I will finish the boat book in 2011.

Enter an independent film competition: This is my most challenging resolution. I've wanted to write and direct movies for as long as I can remember, but when it comes time to put my money where my mouth is, I seem to be frozen by a combination of procrastination, exhaustion and fear of failure. It's time to get motivated. I'm not sure what I'll shoot. I have two scripts that have been sitting around for five years now, but I might right something new. Who knows? I just need to do something.

I do feel a slight tinge of guilt that none of my resolutions have to do with curing cancer or helping my fellow man. However, I'll continue to share all the knowledge and experience I acquire while undertaking these pursuits. Maybe that will help somebody.
Post a Comment