Thursday, May 26, 2011

To be lounging in my salon ...

I really didn't think it would ever happen, but it looks like this weekend -- Memorial Day Weekend 2011 -- we will be lounging on upholstered couches in the Starwind's salon. Or is it saloon? The fact that nautical terms tend to be regional makes them even more confusing at times. I even have one sailing book that seems to switch back and forth between salon and saloon randomly.

Boat upholstery is in progress

The best part? We were able to use the old sunbrella fabric that came with the boat, so the whole project has only cost about $50 in needles, thread and velcro.

Of course, then you add in the labor. Thankfully I have a wonderful girlfriend who actually likes boats and also knows how to sow. I told her she should go into business after she finishes these cushions because it would have cost me almost $2,000 to have these done at an upholstery shop. However, I don't think there's any amount of money that would get her to do another set after this.

I did help, though. I cut out some of the fabric. Her dog also insisted on helping. No matter where she had the material or what position it was in, he could find a way to lay on it.

The dog is so helpful
Post a Comment