Thursday, August 18, 2011

Introducing the r/Houston Photo Project

I was sitting at my computer desk one Sunday afternoon editing photos and surfing reddit.com. I thought to myself, I wonder what these people look like. I wonder what they do for a living. I wonder how old they are. Then the following idea came to me: I should meet and take portraits of Houston redditors and then have a big party where they can all meet each other.

That idea continued to germinate until the r/Houston Photo Project was concieved.

For those who are not familiar with r/Houston, to access subreddits that address specific topics, you utilize a URL with an r/, i.e. www.reddit.com/r/photography. The www.reddit.com/r/Houston subreddit consists of (and exists because of input from) Houstonians from all walks of life who discuss Houston news and events.

The r/Houston Photo Project is an attempt to remove the anonymity of the Internet, engage the community, and display the diversity, talent and personalities of Houston redditors.

The project was officially launched yesterday when I photographed redditor goatkindaguy at MacGregor Park near the University of Houston. Special thanks to him for being the first.

The r/Houston Photo Project: goatkindaguy

The project, which is set to run through the end of September 2011, will culminate in a gallery exhibition and what we hope will be the largest meetup of Houston social media users to date.

If you are interested in sponsoring the project or hosting the exhibition, please contact me for further information.
Post a Comment