Monday, September 26, 2011

Tropical Storm Lee

Hurricane season is almost over. We have one month left, but I think Tropical Storm Lee, which came through Saturday, Sept. 3, was the worst storm that the Texas Gulf Coast is going to get this year.

I was at the marina when Lee arrived with the strange red sky that only shows up with hurricane weather.

Red Skies

The live-aboards at the marina weren't worried. Most of those tough old sailors have ridden out far worse.

The Sailor

The rain started at dusk. Thankfully the horribly ugly fiberglass work I did on my air conditioner box proved to be waterproof. The wind shook me awake during the wee hours of the morning. The boat was shaking hard. I suddenly realized why I needed to replace the yacht braid I was using for dock lines with something that has more stretch.

Once I got used to the shaking and jerking, it was back to sleep. In the morning I found this.

Marina del Sol beach

The north wind had pushed all the water out into the bay and dropped the tide by over five feet during the night. We suddenly had a beach at the entrance of the marina. The crab traps in Clear Lake were sitting half exposed with their tethered white floats lying on top of them.

I pulled one up to find this guy. The storm didn't save him from somebody's boiling pot.

Trapped

As I walked along the newly formed beach, so many things were exposed. There were chunks of a fiberglass hull and a few seat cushions buried in the sand. Of course, there was a ton of fishing line, hooks, lures and bobbers tangled among rocks and weeds.

Tangled lines

I found another crab hunkered down in a half-buried bucket waiting for the tide to return.

Hunkered Down

I know that in some places the tides change more than this every day and leave boats that were floating sitting high and dry. However, here in Texas where I've never seen it change more than a foot or two, this was an interesting experience. I never realized the wind could have that much effect on the water depth.
Post a Comment