Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Frankenstein's Camera

Call me a hoarder if you want, but I hate throwing things away. I've had my Canon AE-1 Program since I was about 13 years old. It saw heavy use through the 1990s, but has sat more or less untouched since I started shooting digital in 2001.

Talk of the new Sony NEX-7 and it's adaptability to be used with such a wide range of lenses got me thinking, if I invest in the Sony, I'd be able to carry one camera that could use my Leica, my Nikon, and my old Canon FD lenses. Of course, the Sony isn't available for at least another month, so I thought, hmmm, I wonder if there's a Canon FD to Nikon adapter mount available. Turns out, there is.

Turns out, Canon FD glass is also super cheap on eBay because Canon abandoned that mount for the EOS mount decades ago.

I decided to get a little crazy with the telephoto action.

Frankensteins Camera

My latest toy consists of a Canon FD 200m f4 ($70), a 3x teleconverter ($10), and a Canon FD to Nikon adapter ($15).

That's 3 x 200mm x 1.5 crop factor = 900mm f16 for under $100.

Extreme zoom but a bit undwieldy without a tripod.

Moon Test

I'm trying to decide if it's worth picking up a Canon FD 500mm mirror lens for another test.

Focusing on the Nikon is a bit touchy since there's no prism in the viewfinder. I think it would be easier on the Sony since they've implemented focus peaking.

Sadly, there is no FD to EOS adapter, so you still can't use these legacy Canon lenses on a digital Canon camera.
Post a Comment