Monday, December 12, 2011

The cheap way to the moon.

While my favorite Leica lens is beign repaired, I've been getting back into my Canon AE-1 gear. Canon FD gear has gotten so cheap that I recently picked up a lot of five 2x teleconverters for under $10 on eBay.

I also found a Canon FD > Nikon converter, which I've mentioned before. I really hoped it would create a cheap way to expand my Nikon kit by allowing me to utilize a bunch of lenses I already own.

On one hand, the 50mm f1.8 and the 28mm f2.8 get usable results, but focusing is a bit tough without a prism in the viewfinder. However, I really wanted it for telephoto work since the Leica tops out at 135mm.

We had a great full moon and a clear sky last week -- a rare combination in Houston. It was also the night of the full eclipse, but unfortunately, it wasn't visible in the gulf coast region.

I went with two 2x converters, one 3x converter, and the Canon 200m f4. After the APS-C sensor crop factor, that gave me the equivalent of a 2100mm lens. Here's the result.

Moon shot

Good magnification, poor detail.

The lens in the Canon > Nikon converter really causes a lot of distortion and loss of detail. It's very disappointing.

Take a look at one of my friend's shots with a 400m f4 and a 1.4x converter.

Moon shot

Yes, he probably had a slight benefit not having to shoot through the pollution of the Houston skies, but you can tell his shot is much sharper than mine.

Now to ponder, would I get better detail and focus with a mirrorless camera that doesn't need glass in the adapter or are Canon FD lenses just not that great?

Maybe I should buy an NEX-7 to find out ...
Post a Comment