Monday, March 26, 2012

Working on the little things

It was a great weekend on the sailboat. We left for Redfish Island Saturday morning. There wasn't much wind. We were slowly bobbing along at 1.5 - 2 knots, but the weather was so great that nobody cared. After a couple hours, we gave up on the wind and motored the rest of the way across the bay. My little Phasor Kubota ran perfectly.

The anchorage at Redfish was full of the usual suspects. We saw lots of bikinis on deck as everyone was trying to soak up the first warm, sunny weekend of the year, but my eyesight wasn't good enough to tell if they were good bikinis or bad bikinis. We had a cigarette boat cruise by asking to borrow some pliers with three ladies aboard who definitely fell into the bad bikini category.

There was a little wind by the time we started back toward Kemah. In fact, we didn't even have to start the motor. My friend Matt pulled out the whisker pole and had us running downwind wing on wing most of the way home.

Wing on wing

Saturday night was a feast of steaks grilled on the Tina Marie as everyone celebrated a great day on the bay and the return of the sun.

Sunday started early with breakfast in the galley.

The only thing I ever cook on the boat

The pancakes were good, but I'm giving up on the percolated coffee. I finally found a replacement perk knob to fit my pot, but it leaked everywhere once the coffee started percolating. Plus, the alcohol burner takes forever to boil water. I've decided I'm just getting a small electric coffee maker and living without coffee when we don't have shore power.

Percolate

I had planned to work all day Saturday, but the weather was just too nice. We took another trip to Redfish aboard the Tina Marie.

Enjoying the bay

But when we got back, I got down to business. Now that all my systems on the Starwind are working, I've been focusing on the smaller details.

I added rain louvers to the Beckson opening ports in the head. My ports aren't self draining, so I have a terrible time with the windowsills holding water, then when I open the ports, it dumps inside. The louvers replace the screens on the inside of the opening ports, and I went ahead and siliconed them into place. This should hopefully solve my water-dumping problem and allow me to leave them open for some ventilation during the week.

Beckson rain louvre

I also got the mirrored acrylic pieces I'd cut last week installed into the medicine cabinet. For the first time since I bought the boat almost three years ago, the cabinet has doors. It's also the first time we've had a mirror on the boat. The downside is that I can no longer ignore how crazy my hair gets after sailing.

Mirrored acrylic

I then pulled apart and masked off the galley to repaint the countertop. Rustoleum makes a anti-microbial, water resistant countertop paint. It was only $20 for the can, so I figured I'd try it out. Nothing could possibly make my ragged, cream-colored counter covered in rust rings look any worse. I chose the color "storm," which was sort of a dark gray. The paint was nice to work with and rolled on very easily. The only downside is that it takes a full three days to dry. I can't wait to see how it looks next weekend when I get all the tape up and put everything back together.



This week I should have new light fixtures showing up, and I've already picked up a new Ritchie compass for the binnacle. Once I get the fixed ports replaced and my bottom painted, the Starwind should be looking like a pretty respectable little vessel.
Post a Comment