Friday, April 06, 2012

Warranties

I got a random phone call while I was sitting in a hotel room in California last month. It was a Dell representative calling me to let me know the warranty of my XPS 15 laptop was about to expire. She was generously offering me the chance to extend it for another two years for the low price of $250 but with a $50 gift certificate to Dell.com. I'm not big on warranties. Most everything I own is used. I was stupid enough to buy an extended warranty on a car once. That was just money down the drain. My first instinct was to say no, but my desktop had already died, my netbook is worthless, and I was down to just my XPS as my go-to computer for all my photo and video editing. I had spent a lot of money on it, and it need to last at least another 2 or 3 years. I decided to go for it, and I've been regretting it a little because I could have spent that $200 on boat stuff. I'm now barely a week out of the original warranty. Last night I pop a Blu-Ray into the optical drive, and I hear the worst grinding noise you can imagine. Then nothing. I try another disc. More horrible grinding. I reboot and try another disc. The grinding has gotten worse! I called Dell this morning. After checking that I had indeed tried multiple discs and rebooting the computer they agreed to send a new optical drive and a technician to my house to install it. A new Blu-Ray burner is only about $100, so the warranty still hasn't fully paid for itself, but for the first time ever, I'm glad I bought one.
Post a Comment