Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A little film goes a long way


It had been a year since I'd taken the Leica M3 out to Redfish Island, so I loaded it with Kodak Portra 160 and packed it in the boat. I was so excited about shooting film this time last year, but I haven't really kept up with it.

The pros: I love the challenge of shooting without a meter, and I really enjoy the anticipation of waiting to see what I've captured.

Swimmer

The cons: I hate having to finish an entire roll, in this case 36 exposures, before I can develop it. I think I took about 10 actual shots, the rest of the day I was just burning film. Since I don't use film for work, it could be months before I'd take a full 36 shots.

Dirty pirates

I was very happy that I'm getting to where I can judge the light without a meter. Some of the shots were just a bit underexposed due to the fact that I had the lens wide open at f2 and the fastest shutter speed on the M3 is 1/1000. I knew that would happen, but nothing was unusable.

Dropping anchor

While it's been fun, I'm really thinking I might put the M3 and Summicron DR back on eBay to fund the purchase of an X-Pro1 or an NEX-7.
Post a Comment