Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Rigging step 1: Get some rope

300ft of 5/16" yacht braid

I've been on the watch for a deal on some 5/16" line to rig my spinnaker for almost a year now. Last week I ran across eBay seller columbiabasinknot. (You can see their ebay store here:  http://stores.ebay.com/Columbia-Basin-Knot-Company-LLC

They had 100 ft hanks of 5/16" yacht braid, 2,200 lb breaking strength, for $24.99 shipped. That is a ridiculous price. The cheapest comparable yacht braid at West Marine is $0.63 per foot.

I couldn't resist the deal and ordered 200 ft on Friday, then ordered another 100 ft just in case. I had my fingers crossed it wouldn't be crap. It showed up last night, and it seems to be really decent line. It feels tougher than the last line I bought from eBay at almost twice the price.

The only downside is that the only color options were white or brown. They did have 1/2" line with colored tracers, but that was a bit heavy for the size of my boat.

We'll see how this line holds up in the sun. If it does well, I'll definitely be ordering more.
Post a Comment