Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Sony NEX-6 First Impressions

Since aquiring my M8 I've been waiting for a high quality mirrorless camera with a viewfinder that can utilize my Leica lenses and shoot video. (The new Leica M is that camera, but it's still MONTHS away.)

I almost jumped at the Sony NEX-7, but I heard it had issues with the sensor overheating during video. Then I almost jumped at the Fuji X-Pro1, but it still didn't seem like a fully developed camera.

I finally ordered the Sony NEX-6.

Sony NEX-6 with kit zoom

Initial setup was a little slow and not completely intuitive. It took me about an hour to get the wifi working with my iPhone and an iPad I borrowed. This required installing the Sony Play Memories Mobile app on the phone or tablet and then plugging the camera into my computer and installing the Remote Trigger and Photo Upload apps. There are several other apps on the Sony site I haven't loaded yet.

Pairing the devices is not fast. Sometimes it takes over a minute, and it still seems buggy, but once it is finally paired, it works well.

Sony NEX-6 wireless smart phone remote

However, if you use the remote device to trigger the camera, there is a noticeable delay.

The kit lens is sharp and autofocus is very fast. If you're shooting in manual mode, there is virtually no shutter lag.

I tested the camera with both my Leica 50mm Summilux and my Canon FD 200mm f4. Manually focusing them with the viewfinder was easy, especially with focus peaking turned on.

The high ISO quality is amazing. Even ISO 3200 is very usable with low noise. Here's a shot of Dixie Belle in a dim bedroom with the Summilux at f1.4, 1/60s, ISO 3200.

DSC00022

Things I love:

  • Clean high ISO capability
  • Fast autofocus
  • Macro capability
  • Great video
  • Uses my Leica and Canon lenses


Things I like:

  • The wifi apps are cool to play with but need work

Things I hate:
  • No mic plug or headphone out
  • No battery charger
  • No RAW file support from Adobe yet 

There is a crappy Sony mic available that plugs in via the Smart Shoe. I'm hoping there are Smart Shoe to mic plug adapters on the horizon. For interviews I need a way to connect lapel mics or I'm back to recording audio with a separate device and having to re-sync it. Waste of time.

I was really hesitant to sell the M8 because I was worried this camera wouldn't be easy to use with Leica lenses, but it just absolutely blows the M8 away. However, I am still craving the new M. We'll see if I still want it after a month with the NEX or if this little camera will keep me satisfied.



Post a Comment