Thursday, January 31, 2013

The battle against MS

In 2008 and 2009, I donned Spandex and made the 183-mile April ride from Houston to Austin as a participant in the BP MS 150, raising money for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

After those two endurance rides, I said, "never again," sold the bicycle and took up sailing. However, I have served as team captain and a volunteer at the event for the past three years.

I don't know what got into me this year. Maybe it was just knowing I need to do something to force myself to get back into shape or maybe I just don't want to accept the fact that I'm rapidly moving through my mid-30s, but I will be not only the Technip team captain again this year, but I will also be riding.

Let me get the begging out of the way now: http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/ffacker

I'm attempting to raise at least $1,000 for the National MS Society by April. If you would like to donate, any amount helps.

I recently attended the first captains meeting at St. Arnold's brewery.

2013 BP MS 150 Team Captain Meeting

The volunteers and vendors brought us up to speed on all the logistics and safety requirements for the 2013 ride.

2013 BP MS 150 Team Captain Meeting

2013 BP MS 150 Team Captain Meeting

I also met several women living with MS who are participating in the ride -- very inspirational ladies.

And although St. Arnolds ended the event by graciously offering us free beer, I declined and went home to work out.

2013 BP MS 150 Team Captain Meeting

I'm currently spending an hour every other evening on a spin trainer, but I haven't even been on a bicycle since 2009, so this is going to take some work.

Thank you to anyone who wants to contribute. I appreciate it, but those living with MS really appreciate it.

Post a Comment